Subject: Re: How to improve the TTIP negotiations - lessons learnt from ACTA
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 19:42:37 +0200
From: JOSEFSSON Erik <erik.josefsson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Verts/ALE - Groupe Politique, Mep et Assistants <dl-verts-ale-all@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

On 31 may 2011 we decided to support EDRi's request to the Parliament "that all relevant documents (drafts distributed by the European Commission and associated briefing notes from the Commission) received by the Parliament be published and/or communicated directly to us as soon as possible."

On 7 February 2012 Dany and Rebecca did alert the President of the European Parliament of complaints to the Ombudsman regarding access to ACTA-related documents (see our campaign wiki for reference http://act-on-acta.eu/).

But the Parliament refused access, and EDRi consequently pursued its Ombudsman complaint further.

The Ombudsman has now published it's conclusion with regards to EDRi's complaint:
There has been no maladministration by Parliament.
But the Ombudsman also added a "Further remark" which should urgently inform the current debate on transparency in the TTIP negotiations:
Given that Parliament's application of Regulation 1049/2001 is affected by commitments such as the one entered into by the Commission in this case, Parliament, as a political body, could intervene with the Commission and the Council with a view to ensuring that, in future, the very nature of Parliament, which is openly to deliberate on such issues, is not undermined.
Link: http://www.ombudsman.europa.eu/en/cases/decision.faces/en/50947/html.bookmark

It is clear from the complaint itself and the Ombudsman's further remark that if the TTIP negotiation framework is not radically improved with regards to present, and future, public access to documents, there is a serious risk that the very nature of Parliament will be undermined.

As I see it, there are few realistic alternatives than to make Predecisional/Deliberative Drafts available to the public between every negotiation round.

That's the bitter lesson learnt from EDRi's ACTA complaint.

Best regards.

//Erik