Subject: [hub] Complaint against European Parliament over secret legal advice
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 15:56:45 +0200
From: Ante Wessels <ante@xxxxxxxx>
To: hub@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Complaint against European Parliament over secret legal advice
http://acta.ffii.org/?p=1948
with links

September 23, 2013
By Ante

The European Parliament decided to keep the opinions of its
legal service on the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA)
secret. I just filed a complaint with the ombudsman against the
parliament over this. I argue that the decisions to keep the
documents secret were acts of maladministration and a violation
of the human right to participate, enshrined in the
International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights
(ICESCR) and the International Covenant on Civil and Political
rights (ICCPR).

ACTA is dead in Europe, this complaint is about access to
documents – essential for civil society work.

In 2011 two parliamentary committees asked the parliament’s
legal service an opinion on the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade
Agreement. The legal affairs committee decided to release the
opinions to the public. The parliament’s vice-president
responsible for access to documents overturned this decision.
The FFII filed an access to documents request but received
almost completely blacked out documents. (Blog post with image)

EU regulation 1049/2001 on access to documents

The EU’s regulation on access to documents has a set of
exceptions to openness that have to be balanced with the public
interest in disclosure. Examples are the protection of legal
advice and the protection of the ongoing decision-making
process. The parliament raised both exceptions. In my complaint
I provide counter-arguments and an overriding public interest in
disclosure.

But the regulation on access to documents also has a set of
exceptions to openness – with a broad discretion for the
institutions – that do not have to be balanced with the public
interest in disclosure. An example is the protection of the
public interest as regards international relations.

If publication of documents may undermine this interest, the
institutions do not have to balance this interest with the
public interest in disclosure. Just a minimal undermining of the
public interest as regards international relations, and secrecy
is allowed, however big the public interest in disclosure may
be.

This is the reason that all requests for the ACTA negotiation
documents failed (FFII, In ‘t Veld, EDRi). Also in this case the
parliament raised this exception that has such a devastating
effect on openness. To counter this, I use two approaches: brute
force and human rights.

Vienna Convention on the Law of Treaties

The parliament argued, based on Article 18 of the Vienna
Convention on the Law of Treaties (VCLT), that the EU was under
certain obligations concerning due and successful ratification
of ACTA and that disclosure of the legal service’s opinions
could undermine successful ratification in third countries, and
thus harm the protection of the public interest as regards
international relations.

In the complaint I argue that the parliament’s interpretation of
the VCLT is not conform the VCLT text, the history of the VCLT
or earlier interpretations of the VCLT. The Parliament erred in
law. I conclude that disclosure of the legal service’s opinions
is not in conflict with the Vienna Convention on the Law of
Treaties or ACTA’s final provisions.

There were of course no certain obligations concerning due and
successful ratification – the parliament itself rejected ACTA
later on. This is the complaint’s core argument.

Human rights

In addition I argue that EU regulation 1049/2001 on access to
documents has to be interpreted in a way that is compatible with
the EU’s human rights obligations. I argue that the right to
participate is a human right, enshrined in the International
Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights and the
International Covenant on Civil and Political rights.
Limitations on the human right to participate are possible, but
they have to be necessary in a democratic society and
proportionate. Regulation 1049/2001 may give the institutions a
broad discretion, the ICCPR and ICESCR have a stricter test. The
parliament’s decisions fail this stricter test.