Re: [DFRI-listan] "Lost on the broadband super highway"

Hello "List", first of all I'm admitting fully and heartfelt that I've not been reading any part of the report mentioned (apart from the extracts presented on this list)...

However, I raise my voice at this moment as I'm suspecting (given we all want to reach an audience beyond this list) that this is pointing to a fundamental problem. The problem being that the intricate details of any proposed legislation, report, inquiry or system are all so complex that they more than often shadow the the broader basic questions.

How do we support: genuine freedom of speech, the infrastructure to sustain it, the availability of "uncontrolled" utilisation of said infrastructure etc. In short: how do we keep internet decentralised yet not nationalised? Distributed as it was built (and in my mind), intended to be.

With what seems to be potentially catastrophic changes being made to the core management of the internet. I can't but feel that the energy of this discussion is directed the wrong way. Please correct me if I'm erroneous.

Best, Jonas

On 2012-12-07 20:34, Erik Josefsson wrote:
I agree. In particular wrt point two, I think it would be good to remind
the authors of what we said in the 2010 November ACTA resolution, and
repeated ever after, that we reminded

      "the Commission that it is precluded by the 2003
    Inter-Institutional Agreement from supporting self- and
    co-regulatory mechanisms where fundamental rights, such as the right
    to freedom of expression, are at stake".
    http://euwiki.org/w/index.php?title=ACTA%2FNovember_diffs&diff=15711&oldid=15710

You're simply not allowed to abandon fundamental rights to be upheld by
voluntary commercial agreements. Kind of Rule of Law basics.

There were a couple of traffic managements amendments floating around in
the Telecoms Package, but they never took off, maybe you like AM2 and
AM7 (from a non-supported AM-package)?

    http://euwiki.org/2002/22/EC/THIRD_READING_TARGET/Amendments

Best regards.

//Erik